onsdag 22 april 2015

Telopea Park School and exploring Canberra

Goodmorning! I got woken up by someone knocking at the door and it was Abigail who wanted me to eat breakfast with her due to her not so well social skills. This morning, we decided to take a long ride by bus all the way to Canberra. Yup you heard right, Canberra! Even though it's 288 kilometres distance between Sydney and Canberra it won't stop me from taking the chance to explore another enormous part of the country, which is also the capital. Many people think that the capital of Australia is either Sydney or Melbourne but in fact, it's Canberra (For not so long ago I was one of those "many people). Abigail was forced to return to her high school in Canberra for the reason that she had to sign her graduation document (I was so confused because in Sweden we don't need to sign any kind of graduation document, we just receive them). I wanted to come along because I hadn't planned anything anyway. If I haven't told you this before, I'll say it now instead. I'm travel-sick, so the fact that I was taking a long busride to Canberra wasn't anything positive against my feels. I almost puked even though I was chewing gum at that time (okay, it might have been TMI). You might wonder how I handled the busrides before, for example the taxi I took from the airport to my hotel? Well, easy, I felt bad at those times as well but didn't bother to write about it since it wasn't anything serious. This time the busride took over an hour so it would have been a miracle if I felt good during the busride.
   When we arrived to Canberra our first stop was Telopea Park School, which is also Abigail's high school! When I was walking in to the school I noticed how different everything was. To begin with,  they had a HUGE flag outside their school building and the flag was supposed to symbolize their "school-logo". It's kind of cool that every high school in Australia has its own specific logo because here in Sweden we rarely use any symbols for a school. The second thing I realised was their outfits, red uniforms! Wow, they looked so organised and synchronized walking down all dressed in red. I haven't been able to build my own opinion about it yet because I think it's unpersonal but at the same time it gives the school some type of value.

The whole "document signing" stuff took longer than we thought because they didn't finish until 5 pm. We've planned to stay here in Canberra for 2 days but since today's errand took longer than expected, we'll have to cut some plans off. Sigh, because Canberra is one of my favourite cities in the world. The clock was almost 5.30 pm and we headed of to Abigail's home to eat some food. Her parents were very excited to see me because they thought that I had unique clothes (I literally wore a black t-shirt and a pair of lightwashed blue jeans) but I guess it's all about differences in different countries and cultures. After a huge meal which gave me complications to walk, we all gathered up to play monopoly (yes it's called Monopoly in Australia meanwhile we in Sweden call it Monopol). People say that Monopoly destroys relationships and I totally agree! Abigail lost and she kept being mad at her parents until the next morning when she accidentally forgot that she was supposed to be angry. Now it's 11 am in the morning and we're going to explore some culture differences between Sweden and Australia! But the blog will suffer until then, see you!

2 kommentarer:

  1. Exciting! How come Canberra is one of your favourite cities? Sounds like you're having a great time! Have you been there before? If not, why did the city make such a good impression on you?

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. It all establishes on that I once watched a film about 2 girls (unfortunately I can't remember the name). I watched the film over 6 times and I almost remembered every line! Okay, so the movie filmed in Canberra and I just began to love Canberra due to the movie.

      Radera